A project management office (PMO) that is engaged in and supportive of transitioning to enterprise Agility can be a tremendous boon. However, when the PMO is not properly involved, it can be a source of resistance as it tries to defend the current process, rather than improve it.
This workshop intends to help in smooth transition of PMO from its current traditional setup to a PMO with full of agility which plays a very important role in meeting organisation’s Agility goals.
Take Aways from the Workshop
By the end of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Understand various agility tools like Scrum, Kanban, #noprojects, #estimates, Lean, Value Stream Mapping, Agility at Scale and resolve PMO challenges by using them
- Identify the existing bottlenecks in the value chain and their role to resolve them.
- Understand the mechanics to come up with relevant Agile metrics and identify them for their PMO?
- The new PMO and its roles and responsibilities
TOPICS & PROGRAM
Module 1: Agile in a Nut Shell
- Why Agile?
- Manifesto, principles and the house of lean
- Roots of Scrum and One Piece Flow
- The Toyota Way and the lean principles
- Kaizen (continuous improvement) vs kaikaku (radical change) in an org
Module 2: Agility Roadmap
- 5 development stages to full Agile org
- Introducing Value Stream Mapping, cycle time, takt time and lead time
- Value Stream Mapping of As Is (portfolio, program and project workflow) (exercise)
Module 3: PMO As Is
- PMO’s responsibilities in traditional org
- Exercise with PMO team to identify
- a) The current work flow
- b) Pain points and bottlenecks in serving org’ objective
Module 4: Tools to Handle Bottlenecks
- Dependencies mgmt through feature teams
- #noprojects and #noestimates
- Scaled Agile concepts and frameworks
- Handle portfolio budgeting problems through Beyond Budgeting concepts
- Resource utilization in Agile world (exercise)
Module 5: The New Agile Portfolio
- Exercise to handle the bottlenecks in the value chain
- Exercise to identify the new role of the PMO
Module 6: Agile Metrics
- New Agile mindset to identify metrics
- Output vs outcome
- Patterns and antipatterns
- Basili’s GQM approach to identify the metrics
- Exercise to come up metrics on: Project level, Program Level , Portfolio level, Org level
Module 7: The New Agile PMO
- The PMO and people
- The PMO and budgeting
- The PMO and projects
- The PMO and process
PMO Team, IT leaders, Portfolio Management, Program Management will benefit from this workshop.
Participants are expected to have a basic understanding of Agile.
Format of Workshop
We focus on hands-on exercises based workshop with interactive dialogues, case studies, debates, demos, and instructional games.